Differences From Classic
|NOTICE TO EDITORS AND READERS!|
This page does not show and should not show WIP features or bugs. Please report bugs/missing features on the Github Issues list. This page is only for confirmed changes between 1.7.10 and 1.12.2 TFC.
TerraFirmaCraft TNG produced a working version of the game in 1.12. Rewriting TFC from scratch presented an opportunity to improve compatibility and avoid reproducing features that are better performed with other mods. Additionally, TNG removed or streamlined some old gameplay that didn't make sense many years after 1.7 was released. What follows is an incomplete list of these differences. This list does not apply to upcoming releases in 1.18+, although TNG uses the 1.12 features as the starting point.
- 1 Stone Age
- 2 Bronze Age
- 3 Food
- 4 Crafting and Devices
- 5 The Player
- 6 Animals
- 7 World Generation
- 8 More info
- Both small and large Vessels preserve Food.
- Large vessels only contain items, and do not act like small barrels.
- See the Forge section for additional uses of Small Vessels.
- Plants in order from the above images, Note that each plant will look different depending on the season!
- Athyrium Fern (spawns in temperate regions, which is where the player initially spawns)
- Canna Lily
- Pampas Grass
- Russian Sage
- Water Canna
Note: Flowers do not bloom all year, so searching for flowers may be frustrating if it's not the summer.
- Firestarters are now right click and hold until the action succeeds or fails, you don't need to release it.
- Placing items down like in a Pit Kiln now uses . You can also now place anything inside of a Pit Kiln, not just pottery!
- Sneak+ places items flat, just like sticks, rocks, and nuggets appear in the world. Anything can be put down like this!
- Firepits take 3 sticks, one Log, and optionally 1-5 pieces of Tinder (straw, paper, etc.) all in the same block space to light. Tinder increases the chance of the Firestarter working by 10% per piece.
- There are a number of new Predator animals that attack you on the surface.
- Depending on the animal they will only attack during the day or at night.
- Vanilla hostile Monsters only spawn underground.
- Many new passive animals have been added, including TFC modified vanilla animals.
Mining and Collapses
- Support beams cover the same space as Classic, supporting a 9x9x3 area.
- Collapses will not propagate back into supported blocks.
- Supported blocks are safe unless the support beams are removed/destroyed.
- Blocks chiseled in place (smoothed blocks) may collapse or initiate a collapse elsewhere, but will not be affected by gravity after they are mined and placed.
- Collapses occur with the same chances as Classic, but may additionally trigger delayed collapses.
- Empty ceramic molds hold heat even after the metal is removed, This will prevent them from stacking immediately.
- Side slots only hold one item each and they must be something that holds liquid and can be heated. Small Vessels and Molds are the only options within base TFC.
- Tool Molds placed in the side slots will be filled if tool Metals of Tier I or II melt in the Forge.
- Small Vessels will catch melted liquids from the Forge, up to 4000 units per Small Vessel.
- Small Vessels can be heated in the forge, and will Alloy their contents at Brilliant White.
- Anything that can normally be fired in a Pit Kiln can be fired in a forge once it is Brilliant White.
- Metal Armor and Weapons can be melted in the Forge.
- Food can be cooked in the Forge. It will have slightly worse preservation applied than if it was cooked in a firepit or grill. Bread, but not other foods, will overheat and burn up if left unattended.
- A coal block can no longer be used to create a Forge.
- Welding is done outside of the GUI now but it still still needs Flux in the Anvil. Use + on the anvil with a Hammer in hand if everything is ready for welding.
- Items can be placed inside of the Anvil with + while holding them.
- Worked Ingots will have their original plan selected when they are placed back into the anvil.
- Items with only one possible smithing plan will have that plan selected automatically.
- Rose Gold anvils were removed.
- The Crucible now has nine input slots which can hold one meltable item each. It will not drain molten ingots from their molds. There is one output slot that works normally.
- The metal content is displayed with percentages at the top of the crucible menu.
- Crucibles will tolerate addition of the output alloy, no more shift-clicking a partially-filled mold and ruining a batch of bronze by adding bronze!
- Taste system was removed.
- The Food Oz (weight) system was removed because it was extremely incompatible.
- Decay works very differently. Every piece of food has creation and expiration dates. Knives cannot "cut" decay off. The old method of decay required ticking every container in the world, and was incompatible with the inventories of every other mod.
- Some rotten food can be used to feed some animals.
- Combining food in the crafting grid makes the stack use the oldest date so they can stack together. The 'x' key by default will stack food hovered over in the inventory.
- To achieve full nutrition, meals are required. The nutrition and saturation value of meals comes from their ingredients.
- The player's nutrition levels in each category are an average of the last 20 food items consumed. Note: If a non-TFC food item isn't explicitly configured, it will have no nutrition values.
- Drying/smoking rack was removed.
- The Food Preparation Surface was removed.
- Fire pits can be upgraded with a Wrought Iron Grill or a Ceramic Pot.
- Soup: Place a bucket of water in a ceramic pot on a camp fire, add up to five ingredients, wait one hour. Retrieve soup using any bowl.
- Sandwich: Craft two of the same type of bread in the center top and bottom with a knife in the upper right, and up to three ingredients across the middle.
- Salads: Right click with a bowl in main hand, knife in offhand. Add up to five ingredients and a bowl.
- Seaweed was removed temporarily.
- Fishing was removed temporarily.
- Melons & Pumpkins where removed temporarily.
- Farmland has a moisture scale from 0 - 15
- Crops require at least level 3 moisture to grow.
- Farmland is moisturized by rain or nearby water blocks, up to a maximum radius of 6 blocks.
- Moisture spreads 2 blocks up and 1 block down.
- More water blocks = more moisture
- A single water block will add sufficient moisture to farmland as shown:
- Farmland soil nutrients (i.e. the fertilization level of A,B,C in Classic) are not implemented.
Crafting and Devices
- The 3x3 crafting table is not part of the player's inventory GUI anymore.
- There is an additional 3x3 crafting grid that can be configured 3 ways: Disabled, Push while workbench is in inventory to open, Push to open (always).
- Lamps can be made from any metal and are filled with 250mb of using olive oil.
- Olive Oil is produced using a quern, jute net(s), and hot spring water. The hopper press doesn't exist.
- Fire Brick are knapped from 5 Fire Clay, not crafted in a crafting grid.
- Scythes no longer reduce the drop rate of saplings when used to break leaves
- Quern base recipe is 3 smooth Stone above 3 stone of any kind, raw or smoothed.
- Quern handstone recipe is 3 stone of any kind with a stick handle.
- Quern GUI was removed, all interactions are done in-world.
Chiseling & Micro-Blocks
- Lumber placement was removed.
- Chisels can be used in-world to smooth stone and carve out stairs or slabs. Hold a Hammer in the offhand for this to work. Press to change modes.
- In-world chiseling of bits was removed.
- Sluices can be placed into any level of flowing water.
- Sluices are filled by floating sand or gravel into it.
- Sluices no longer have a GUI.
- Sluices search for ore in a one chunk radius by default, and looks at every vein generated at any y-level.
- Sluices when filled, have a 5% chance of producing a nugget and a 5% chance of a gem every 5 seconds.
- Sluices cannot be filled with a Gold Pan.
- Filled Gold Pans can be used with right click held at a water source block to pan for platinum, silver, gold, or copper nuggets. This is more productive than Classic.
- Barrels only can hold fluids and one stack of items for a recipe.
- Barrel recipes use the quantity of items in the input slot as the minimum. If the recipe is valid, any excess non-converted fluid will be destroyed. If there is insufficient liquid for all the items, the leftover items will also be destroyed.
- A full Barrel of Alcohol requires 20 flour/sugar/apples/potatoes. Souring that Alcohol into Vinegar requires 40 Fruit.
- Large Vessels only hold and carry items now.
- Red and Blue steel buckets can be crafted together into a vanilla bucket.
- Wooden buckets are crafted like the vanilla iron bucket but use 3 lumber instead. The Classic recipe used 5 lumber.
- Powderkegs only hold gunpowder up to 12 stacks. The smallest explosion needs 12 gunpowder. A creeper-like explosion takes 48 gunpowder. The largest possible explosion will make a crater ~20 blocks wide (same as Classic).
- Logpiles can be filled with + .
- Barrels can hold dye fluids of all 16 colors.
- Fluid dye provides more usages per dye than using dye in a crafting bench.
- Gypsum spawns in sedimentary rock types and is also obtained by querning raw limestone.
- Alabaster is TFC's version of terracotta, crafted from putting gypsum in limewater.
- Can be crafted into raw, smooth, or brick alabaster.
- Experience does not affect player health.
- Spawn default health will always be 850 instead of 1000.
- Health and damage values are vanilla. 1000 hp = 10 vanilla hearts or 20 damage total.
- The back slot was removed. More than one anvil, sealed barrel or vessel in your inventory will result in extreme slowness and fatigue. Quivers are now worn in the chestplate slot instead of the back slot.
- Prospecting skill only increases when an ore in a vein is right clicked with a prospecting pick and the ore blocks are 14 or more blocks apart. This can occur in the same vein!
- The three smithing skills have been merged into one - however there are still different categories internally, so you do have to smith different types of objects to attain full skill.
- Achievements are now advancements, obviously. The tree is much larger than before.
Animals will eventually grow to old age, which means:
- The animal will no longer be able to breed
- The animal will no longer lay eggs
- The animal will no longer be able to be milked
- If it is a wild animal (familiarity < 10%) it will eventually die of old age
As wild animals die of old age, there is a chance new groups of animals will spawn in already-generated chunks
To tame a horse, first familiarize it, and then use a Halter on the animal. Then, attempt to ride it. You then can place a saddle on the animal to control it.
- World spawn point is no longer affected by TFC. The vanilla location will be roughly within 250 blocks of x=0, z=0.
- z=0 is now in the temperate zone, so the range of temperature at spawn will include all four seasons.
- By default, the temperature gets warmer in the positive-z (south) direction for 20 k blocks, and then gets colder again, and the reverse for negative-z.
- Temperature can also be affected regionally, by up to ±3 C. This means moving east / west can see temperature changes, although not as drastic as moving north / south.
- The Vanilla Mobs have been moved underground, and not longer spawn in at night. The surface instead has predators, like the Black Panther, or the Bear.
- Rainfall values now vary between ~0 and 500. Clay does not generate below rainfall 150.
- Many more flowers and plants generate in the world, depending on temperature and rainfall. They appear different through the seasons.
- Tree leaves do not change colors according to the season.
- Many tree models are updated, and may be different sizes than before (e.g. White Cedar).
- Fruit trees are placed as a sapling and either grow naturally or with bonemeal to the first log.
- Surface nuggets are created from ore blocks at or above 35 blocks below the lowest surface level of the chunk, and search a 2x2 chunk area including the +x, +z directions.
- Sulfur is a mineral ore, and does not spawn or respawn around lava.
- Size is only used to determine what can fit in containers (ie no Logs in Chests) and weight is only used to determine stack size (ie Logs only stack to 16)
The best way to get info on the mod and how it's being changed and updated is on Github